Call now to get started on your FREE case review!(480) 331-7568

Does Arizona Allow Medical Marijuana Use?

Thursday / July 21, 2016

Yes, Arizona allows the use of medical marijuana under very specific circumstances. Don’t start thinking though that this means it’s no big deal, for most people it’s still a crime to use, grow or sell marijuana and Federal law says it’s always illegal. If you have been charged with a marijuana-related offense, with or without a medical marijuana card, consult an experienced criminal defense attorney right away.


Who Can Possess Medical Marijuana in Arizona?

Qualifying patients who have registered with the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) and have been issued a registry identification card.  To qualify, a patient must have been diagnosed and certified by a marijuana doctor, an Arizona-licensed MD, as having a qualifying medical condition and then they must obtain the Arizona Medical Marijuana Registry ID Card.


What are the Qualifying Medical Conditions?

Qualifying medical conditions for a medical marijuana card include:

  • Cancer
  • Glaucoma
  • Hepatitis C
  • Crohn’s Disease
  • Alzheimer’s Disease
  • ALS
  • Seizures
  • Multiple Sclerosis


How Much Medical Marijuana Can a Patient Possess?

A qualifying medical marijuana patient may purchase and possess up to 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana every two weeks. If the patient is authorized to grown marijuana, they can own up to 12 plants.


Where in Arizona Can You Not Use Medical Marijuana?

Medical marijuana cannot be smoked or consumed in edible form in any public facility or public areas, such as a school or public park.


Tempe Marijuana Lawyer Kyle T. Green

If you or a loved one is facing a marijuana crime charge, give me a call today to get your questions answered and begin working on your defense. Depending on the circumstances and evidence found at the time of your arrest for a marijuana crime, you may face additional charges for illegal marijuana paraphernalia or even aggravation.


For a free case review, please call my office at 480-331-7568.


Back to Blogs